Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Heroes.

So the verdict is in and "Heroes" is officially our new favorite show. After months of listening to co-workers rave about how good it is we decided to rent a disk and check it out (since then we have purchased the whole season and watch about 4 episodes a night). The show is based off the classic comic book superhero theme. It follows individuals as they discover that they are unique in some way...with some sort of superpower or whatnot. There is even a character who paints the future in a comic book style of artwork.

I will admit that some of the dialog comes off a bit cheesy and especially during the first few episodes it bothered me how blunt many of the characters were. Often confiding deep secrets in others with no small-talk or build-up. The show follows many story lines and so it seemed that they were trying to cram too much info into every scene.

Then in one episode Peter Petrelli drops this line, "I've been in love with you from the moment I laid eyes on you." Now I'm never a fan of this type of attitude, because clearly you can't really LOVE someone until you know them. I immediately went into annoyed mode. Then during my annoyedness, it dawned on me that this sort of ridiculous line is just straight out of the comics. And then it continued to dawned on me that this show is not poorly written, but that the blunt dialog itself follows the style of comics. Typically, comic writers have very limited time and space to write a detailed intricate story and thus must push important facts and events out at a staggering pace. The point is...I get it now. Or maybe I've looked too deeply and it's just low quality prime-time programing. Regardless, it helps me justify this new obsession. :)

Don't forget to catch the season premiere September 24th on NBC.

1 comment:

andi said...

i've kind of been interested in that show for awhile, but have yet to actually catch an episode...i really like hayden panetierre as an actress. and aparently, the asian actore, was the smartest boy in the world when he was 12 and was on the cover of time magazine.

it's amazing what you can learn watching the emmy's...haha.

see you soon dear!